Sunday, September 16, 2012

Spirituality: Beers, Brothers, and The Bible

Galatians 6 (Super Paraphrased) "...you who are spiritual...Bear one another’s burdens...let us do good to all"

Today we went to Elizabeth's old church and the sermon was on what it meant to be spiritual. What we generally think of when someone says this, is some quiet old monk, super in touch with the ethereal... But in Paul's letter to Galatia, we see something entirely different. Those who are called 'spiritual' are actually those who lift one another up, and those who do good things to others.

The part that hit home for me was 'lifting one another up, bearing each-others burdens.' In my mind, it is referencing Fellowship, and close relationships with other folks. I realized that since getting married a few months ago, I haven't really been 'plugged in,' so to speak. I've not really been keeping in touch with my brothers (in Christ) and it's causing me to to become quite lukewarm, not really doing anything bad, but not really doing anything good either. (Something John warns against heavily in Revelation, and a conversation for another blog post altogether.)


To this end, We've decided to do two things. Elizabeth and I are going to look for a small group to join (any suggestions, post them in the comments); And secondly, I want to become part of a Mens group.
Problem is, we only have one car, and I don't like leaving my wife stranded at home. So instead, we're gonna kick her out for the evening (with love) and I'm gonna start a Mens group here at the condo.

A Name and a Purpose... So I want this to not be a simple Bible reading get together, I'd like to add a bit of fun to our meetings, and we know how I like alliteration... Beers, Brothers, and The Bible. The idea is this, Each week One of us brings a six pack(or more, if there's more of us) of a beer they've not tried before, we'll discuss the beer and read the Bible. I figure I'll Bring the first beers, and we can discuss what we're studying the first night. Anyone interested, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I would be interested...too bad I'm in Tucson..and not a guy..

    ReplyDelete