Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Two Weeks

Two weeks.

In two weeks, our baby is due to be born.

We have the walls painted, the crib built, the toys contained, the plugs covered.

The books have been read, the diapers prepped, and the classes completed.

I still have no idea what's about to happen.

Let's get something clear first; I am not anxious about baby, but I'd by lying (and badly at that) if I were to say I'm not nervous. I've never held a baby for longer than a moments breath, never changed a diaper, never talked baby-talk while leaning over a crib wall. I don't know how I'm going to react when he's born, will I cry, will I jump and laugh, will I smile the biggest smile I can? I don't know; and if you know me, you know I don't like not knowing the answer to things. Especially the important questions. I excel at tests, I can study and learn the answers before hand.

-
Despite all we've done, I feel just as prepared for fatherhood as I did 5 years ago... (Hint: not at all)
-

I look so forward to the times I can have with him. Teaching him the rules of baseball, and to boo the Phillies, watching Star Trek with him, Teaching him to read, all the way through helping him wrap his head around the atom. From family vacations, to pizza night. I want it all, and I simply can't wait to be his father in all of those respects. I already love him.

But the first few years... the delicateness of his little body, the fretfulness of not sleeping through the night, the myriad of exciting colors I am to find behind that puffy white diaper... Am I going to be good enough? Am i going to be man enough?

-

I am lucky, oh so lucky to have Elizabeth as my wife. While she's not been a mom before, at least she's held a baby before, and is a pro diaper changer! I am so glad that she is here to go along in this journey, nay, adventure, that is parenthood.

I will be relying on her expertise so much,  I only hope that I can be more helpful than burdensome.

-

Two Weeks before my life changes.

Two Weeks before I meet the man I will call "son"

Two Weeks before I am called "Father'

Two Weeks before Something more Beautiful

Two Weeks

--

See y'all in 14 days,

-Joshua Anderson
(P.S. Movie Reviews, and Good Cookin' to come, so stay tuned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment